This is a super-quick and easy recipe but very tangy and the green chillies give it a great kick! The measurements for the ingredients are approximate, I spied my housemate while she was cooking it and this is the combination I came up with but you can add more or less quantity of whatever you want. Hope you enjoy it!
1 tbsp black mustard seeds
A pinch of fresh curry leaves
5 green chillies (or to taste)
1 tbsp Gram Dal lentils
1-2 tbsp roasted & salted peanuts
1 tbsp of fresh ginger
1/2 tsp of Turmeric
Juice of 1 large lemon
2 bowls of already boiled basmati rice
Salt and water
How to do it:
Heat vegetable oil on a pan, once hot throw the mustard seeds in, when they start popping add the curry leafs and stir for a little while.
Add the green chillies, Gram lentils and stir for a couple of minutes, then add the peanuts and stir well. Roast at mid-low flame to brown slowly.
Once lightly brown add a tablespoon of fresh grated ginger, salt, turmeric, the lemon juice and a tablespoon or two of water. Cook for only two minutes once you put the lemon juice in otherwise it will become bitter.
Add already-boiled basmati rice and cook at low flame until the rice is hot. And it’s ready!
Serve on its own or as a side for any curry. It’s deliciously tangy!
Perfectly simple recipe of rice cooked with garlic, very easy to make and extremely tasty. A perfect side to any dish.
1-3 garlic coves (as many as you want really)
How to cook:
Fry the peeled garlic cloves with plenty of oil until golden brown.
Add rice and stir, fry until grains become transparent, keep steering until they turn white again. Like in the image below:
Add twice as water to the volume of rice you used (e.i. 1 cup of rice = 2 cups of water)
Stir until water reaches heavy boil then turn the hear right down and let cook slowly until all the water is gone. You will know when that happens because the sound of the rice cooking will change.
And you’re ready to go!
Ever wondered what to do with the leftover risotto when you’ve cooked a large amount of it? Well, this is a great way to transform leftovers in a tasty Italian dish. Let’s make Arancini di Riso!
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups Risotto
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
2 ounces mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
– Pour enough oil in a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat.
– Stir the eggs, risotto, Parmesan, and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs in a large bowl to combine. Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a medium bowl.
– Using about 2 tablespoons of the risotto mixture for each, form the risotto mixture into 1 3/4-inch-diameter balls. Insert 1 cube of mozzarella into the center of each ball. Roll the balls in the bread crumbs to coat.
– Working in batches, add the rice balls to the hot ail and cook until brown and heated through, turning them as necessary, about 4 minutes.
– Using a slotted spoon, transfer the rice balls to paper towels to drain. Season with salt. Let rest 2 minutes. Serve hot with some sort of sauce like tomato sauce.